Friday, December 2, 2011

The Brew Room

So I really like beer, and I like brewing beer. I need to brew more beer. I haven't brewed since last Spring. I've been working on reading and learning as much as I can about it. I have also been buying bigger and better equipment. My wife gave me permission to take over an unused closet space that was left over from a bathroom remodeling. It's roughly 6 feet by 6 feet by 3 feet. That works out to about 108 square feet. I built a board and batten style door out of pine and a set of shelves from wooden bed set that was replaced. I'll post some pics later.  I have also amassed a large amount of equipment. One of my co-workers, husband used to homebrew, but has since stopped. She was nice enough to give me all of his equipment. I also bought a plastic bucket kit with two 6.5 gallon buckets. I now have four 6.5 gallon buckets, seven 5 gallon glass carboys, a five gallon brewpot, two bottle cappers and all sorts of miscellaneous utensils and tools. I can't wait to start brewing again. Just waiting for some more $$$ to start.


Here's a few pics. This is the Fermenting / Storage room.















Here is my door that I built. I must say, I love how it came out. Not bad for an amatuer carpenter.













Here's one of it in place.
This is the shelves I built with most of my equipment. I might build a set of door to enclose the bottom opening. I think that might neaten it up a bit.











I did get a chance to build one more contraption yesterday. I built my own Wort Chiller. It's basically a coil of 1/2" copper tubing that you place into the boiling wort. After flameout, you run cold water through it to cool the wort as sson as possible. Tis will reduce the chance in infection in the wort, improve clarity and reduce the temperature to pitch your yeast. It did cost me a little more than if I had just bought one online, but I couldn't say that I built it myself. Here's a pic or two.

It's roughly 23' of 1/2" copper tubing, ending in garden hose fittings.
















Another view in the brewpot.

No comments:

Post a Comment