Sunday, April 15, 2012

New Brewing Equipment

So this is my second attempt to post this info. I some how deleted the first one this morning. Not enough coffee I guess.

Easter Sunday, I bought a Backyard Classic 30 quart turkey fryer from a local Walmart. My Dad had mentioned it before and I finally got over there to grab it. I have been thinking about buying a propane burner set-up anyway, so this is a great find. This will decrease my time stuck on the stove top and also make my brewing setup more portable. The 7.5 gallon pot is also a bonus.

The only drawback of the purchase was the 15 minute timer on the burner. Any home brewer out there knows that a 15 minute timer will not work when most beers are a 60 minute boil minimum. So off to the Internet I went to search the Brewing forums for a fix. I was able to find that this is an easy fix and a few minutes later I was able to remove the timer completely and the burner works perfectly.

I decided a few days later to run the burner thru a test run. After marking the 7.5 gallon pot in one gallon increments, I put 3 gallons of cold tap water into it and checked the temp which was 50°. I hooked up the propane tank and lit the burner. 18.4 minutes later I had a full rolling boil. This will definitely work for me.

Now I can't wait for my next brew. I'm thinking about a Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA clone. Stay tuned. 


1 comment:

  1. Getting a Propane burner was an awesome addition to my brewery. I like to "let it rip" until it comes to a boil and then throttle the gas back to just enough to keep a rolling boil... This allows me to get about 5 brews out of one 15lb tank of propane!

    ReplyDelete