Sunday, May 27, 2012

New Beer Tastings



Good morning campers. I wanted to share a few beers that I've tried recently. I've been on another IPA kick again. I also wanted to try a Rauchbier. Thankfully, my local package store has plenty to choose from and their beer man, Ray, is happy to suggest some new beers to me to try out this weekend.

After months of forgetting to try it, I finally bought Torpedo Extra IPA from Sierra Nevada.  Torpedo Extra IPA is another fantastic beer from Sierra Nevada. Great hop flavor with a 7.2% ABV. This beer is the reason that Sierra Nevadas invented the Hop Torpedo. It's a crazy contraptioon made to super size the dry hopping. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a photo. I guess I'll have to force myself to have another one tonight and take a pic then.


Next up is Outburst Imperial IPA from Pyramid Brewing. Another great IPA. 8.5% ABV and a nice hoppy punch. I'm glad that Pyramid is now available on the East Coast.
Of course, another beer I forgot to photograph. I'll add it to my list.
Pyramid Brewing Outburst IPA

Another fine IPA is Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing in PA. This is a great IPA with a nice balance between the West Coast hoppiness with a East Coast style IPA bitterness.
The beer also comes in at 8.5% ABV.
Victory Brewing Hop Wallop


Hop Wallop by Victory Brewing

The last beer today is not an IPA. I picked up Cinder Bock from Sam Adams. I'm interested in the taste of smoked malts because I'm planning on using them in a Cascadian Dark Ale recipe. My friend Ray suggested this beer as an example of the smoked malts. I have to say that I was not a fan of this beer. It tasted like liquid campfire to me. There are people that love the Rauchbier style, but I am not sure if I'm one of them yet. But at 9.4% ABV, definitely a nice end to the evening.

 

Sam Adams' Cinder Bock

No comments:

Post a Comment